Now that the summer is in full flow, we have been getting gifts of home grown veg from various people (thanks, mum!). This tends to mean you need to think on your feet to use up the glut and at the moment courgettes seem to be in plentiful supply. We love courgettes and they are very versatile whether served raw in salads (plenty of lime juice and a good amount of chilli with grated courgette!) through to char grilled on the barbecue. Courgettes are great sautéed with herbs and so this lead us to this quick and simple dinner of Hake with Mediterranean Courgettes we put together last night.
Hummus has to be one of the easiest dishes to make but one of the most bought ready made. It can be made in large quantities and even freezes well so why not give it a go, I promise you it can’t go wrong! We tend to leave ours chunky, especially when being eaten as a side dish rather than a dip and plenty of garlic is a must.
- 2 portions of a firm white fish (we used Hake)
- 2 large courgettes (or equivalent of smaller courgettes, try and mix up the colours if you can)
- 1 tbs olive oil
- 2 tsp oregano (dried or fresh)
- 2 tsp thyme (dried or fresh)
- 2 tsp parsley (dried or fresh)
- 1 lemon
- 1 tin of chick peas
- 2 tsp olive oil
- 2 tsp tahini paste
- 1 lemon
- 2 cloves of garlic
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- Feta to serve
Thinly slice the courgettes and sweat down in a frying pan with the olive oil and herbs.
Once the courgettes are partly cooked, season the fish and place on top of the courgettes and cover the pan with a piece of foil, pressing down round the edges of the fish to trap the heat.
Cook until the fish has turned opaque on top.
Whilst the fish is cooking make the hummus:
- Mash the garlic cloves into a paste and place in a deep serving bowl
- Add the olive oil, tahini paste and juice of the lemon and stir
- Add the cumin and the chick peas and then start to mash, we have a wooden pestle which works perfectly but a fork would do just as well.
- Mash to a texture you are happy with
- To serve drizzle with a touch more olive oil and a scattering of ground cumin.
- To serve, place a bed of courgettes on the plate with the hummus next to it. Place the fish on top of the courgettes and scatter over the feta and finish with a squeeze of lemon
Any other suggestions on ways to use up surplus courgettes would be great or why not let us know what else would go well with the Mediterranean Courgettes, just email us or find us on Twitter!